Jamal Gawi, PhD
environmental science | natural resource management | environmental policy | climate change | sustainability | biodiversity | environmental management | project management
I have more than 25 years of development experience in diverse roles planning, advising, and evaluating environmental and natural resource projects and policies. I provide services in the fields of Natural Resource Management, biodiversity conservation, and environmental management to support the achievement of sustainable development goals.
PhD Environmental Science, University of Indonesia
Master of Environmental Studies, York University (Canada)
Bachelor of Agriculture, Syiah Kuala University (Indonesia)
My research interests are related to the local implications of climate change, conservation, forest governance and biodiversity.
Extensive experience in Southeast Asia including Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam working biodiversity, sustainability, and climate change policies and projects. I have worked with a range of clients including Global Affairs Canada, EuroConsult MottMacDonald, EU, and CowaterSogema.
Selected media publications
- Coffee industry and climate change in SE Asia. Jakarta Post (February 2018)
- The paradoxes of social forestry in Indonesia. Jakarta Post (October 2017)
- Toward Sustainable Cities in ASEAN. Jakarta Post, (February 7th, 2017)
- Climate Change affects ASEAN biodiversity. Jakarta Post (February 16, 2016)
- Root out problems threatening ASEAN parks. The Straits Times (November 2014)
- ASEAN biodiversity and climate change: SOS. Jakarta Post (September 2014)
- Presenter at International Seminar on Impacts of Indian Ocean Post Tsunami Reconstruction, Paper Title: Implication of Asymmetric Decentralization and Globalization to Sustainable Forest Management in Aceh Province, Indonesia. Organized by Harvard University and International Centre for Indian Ocean Studies.
- Presenter at National Conference on Public-Private Partnership in Forest Management, Organized by Ministry of Forestry, Kempinsky Hotel 2011.
- Presenter and organizer for a number of workshops and seminars on environment and NRM issues for CIDA in Sulawesi, including on Green Economy, Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA), Regional Planning, Sustainable Livelihood, AMDAL, etc. (2009-present)
- Presenter in National Seminar on Integrated Watershed and Forestry Management, Banda Aceh, May 2013.
- Presenter and participant in Governor Climate Change Initiative meeting in Belem, Brazil. June 2009.
Teaching: Lecturer of Global Climate Change in the Master’s program of Environmental Science School of University of Indonesia.
Membership of professional bodies: Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) International Fellow, Member of Indonesian Environmental Expert (IESA), Member of Certification Management Committee (CMC), PT. Sucofindo.